Skating, Shooting, and Scoring
When you step on the ice next season, you will want to skate faster, shoot more accurately, and give or take a check more effectively! This is your opportunity to improve! Our coaches will focus on taking you to the next level by concentrating on your skating and shooting strengths and weaknesses. Working on checking strategy is essential for all age levels whether playing body contact or not. Improve these skills and you will improve your total game. Be the player you want to be when you hit the ice this fall!
Boarding and Day options. Ages 8-17. Distinct age groupings.
- 17 hours of quality on ice instruction with targeted training beginning Sunday evening and ending Saturday morning.
- Sunday evening skate & evaluation introduces you to the CAN/AM way and gives instructors their first chance to evaluate players.
- Monday-Friday: players will have two 1 ½ hour sessions daily, each with specific skills and goals.
- Saturday session serves as a recap from the week and a chance to display enhanced skills during a final scrimmage.
- Personalized and individualized 5:1 player to instructor teaching ratio.
- Daily power skating sessions with a specialized power skating instructor to enhance stride strength, balance, speed, and agility.
- Daily specialized instruction on stickhandling, shooting and passing.
- Train and perfect individual skills:
- Improve your shooting accuracy.
- Develop a quick release.
- Increase shooting power significantly.
- Learn and re-learn when, where, and how to execute the correct shot from the best location to score.
- Execute pinpoint passes.
- Stickhandle in tight areas and in the open ice with your head up.
- Learning proper body contact: When and when not to use the body, “shadowing”, controlling the slot area and use of angles. (body contact will be taught in a controlled environment at an age appropriate level)
- Testing for skating speed, shot power, and shot accuracy.
- Instructional small area games for application and enhancement of shooting, skating and passing skills.
- Personal video analysis of your individual style and skills – a CAN/AM coach gives you specific input and skill development tips using video feedback.
- 3-4 hours of targeted off-ice hockey training daily including the following components:
- Foot Speed, Agility Training & Flexibility:
- Agility stations including ladder drills, Gorilla steps, Dot Drill mats, Power Slide boards, core strengthening via medicine balls and resistance bands, balance and flexibility training.
- Shooting Gallery:
- Improve your shooting accuracy off-ice with the Top Shot, interactive indoor shooting gallery.
- Increase shooting power with proper technique and repetition at our outdoor shooting gallery.
- Techniques & Tactics:
- Designed to introduce and reinforce concepts used during situational and positional play on-ice. By introducing these physical elements off-ice, we can help skaters focus on the mental and physical skills involved without having to worry about on-ice distractions. This leads skaters to a much greater understanding of the skill or concept in question.
- Team Challenge:
- Learning of what "TEAM" means is an important part of developing hockey players. You will learn the importance of such critical hockey team skills as desire, cooperation, trust, motivation and just plain hard work towards a common goal. This program is under the supervision of our special Team Challenge staff and instruction is geared towards safety as a priority.
- Interactive lectures centered on your position and your questions. Topics covered:
- Review and critique of professional situations and breakdowns resulting in goals.
- Responsibilities of forwards & defensemen (Defensive, Neutral, and Offensive zones).
- Understand breakaway concepts and techniques. Know what to do when a goalie comes out from his net, how slowly or quickly to approach, what visual cues to look for and what final move to make.
- Detailed walkthroughs for: breakouts, attacking the zone (triangle and cycling), face off positioning, and special teams.
- Understanding different goaltending styles and taking advantage of their weaknesses.
- Pre-game preparation & in-game focus.
- Learning from and bouncing back from a bad game.
- Hockey and higher education.
- Fitness Testing for flexibility, sprinting, endurance, and power.
- See how you measure up against hockey players of your age.
- Although hockey, both on and off the ice, is the focus at camp, there are times set aside for recreation in order to relax, have fun and take a break from the concentrated hockey program.
Additional Package Details:
- 7 days 6 nights accommodations at double occupancy.
- Sunday camp registration 1:30pm-3:30pm and Opening Ceremonies.
- Sunday team dinner
- Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Monday-Friday.
- Breakfast Saturday morning.
- Olympic Center Guided Tour: How Lake Placid got the Olympic bid and the importance of the Miracle on Ice.
- Friday evening closing activities.
- Saturday closing remarks, Awards Ceremonies, and check-out.
- CAN/AM camp souvenir.
- Official CAN/AM Hockey Camp jersey.
- Personal Scouting Report: Detailed end of week evaluation including coaches’ assessment based on your on-ice and off-ice progression and testing results.
- Training workbook to supplement your on-ice training and to guide you through on and off-ice workouts for the upcoming season.